Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Hardcore Grain Series Part 1: Be afraid, be very afraid.

I am to whole grains what Robert Parker is to wine. Most people stop at oatmeal having exhausted what little grainbition they have. I pity you. There is a universe of grains only waiting to be unearthed. Satisfying, wholesome, delicious. Served hot or cold, cooked or raw. The grain is my god and I am here to spread his word.


Last week, while in a health food store on 84th and 3rd I came across Roman Meal's Cream of Rye. It was sitting on the top shelf in the grain section. A thick layer of dust covered the cylinder. I felt like I was uncovering a lost relic. And it carried a hefty price tag - $4.29. Was this the Cadillac of grains?

Eating this uncooked is suicide. Even when properly cooked (I use a microwave) the grain never seems done. Nuke some sticks or twigs in water for a few minutes, you'll end of with something comparable to whole grained flaked rye. The taste? Earthy, grainy, and slightly nutty. Its okay.


The nutrition facts are admirable. In 1/3 of a cup there are only 110 calories and 5 grams of fiber. Before I was initiated, I cooked up an entire cup. I felt like the roman soldier ran me through with his long sword. I have yet to recover.


When it comes to whole grains this is about as hardcore as you get. The Roman Centurion on the label should have served as proper warning: DO NOT EAT MORE THAN ONE SERVING AT A TIME. If you're new to the world of grains, I would hold off on Roman Meal into you've developed more of a tolerance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home