Thursday, March 01, 2007

Winning the Peanut Butter Lottery: First Prize, Salmonella

(Doug, pictured here with his winning jar of PB)

I was perusing some news on the NPR website when I came across this tidbit which I found interesting:

CDC Tracks Salmonella to Batch of Peanut Butter

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has linked peanut butter to a salmonella outbreak that's sickened almost 300 people since August. No one has died — but dozens of people have been hospitalized....

...investigators narrowed the outbreak to jars of Peter Pan and Great Value brands of peanut butter made at a processing facility in Georgia. The plant is owned by ConAgra foods, which has now recalled all jars of peanut butter that are labeled with a product code number that begins with 2111."

I found it particularly notable as I have been experiencing some gastric distress as of late. Not severe mind you, but far from normal - I prefer to keep things running on all eight cylinders.

I think I may have discovered the cause:

3 Comments:

Blogger Passionate Eater said...

Yikes, and it looks like you ate some! I hope your "gastric distress" subsides soon--no more peanut butter for you, for the next year or two!

12:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Doug, I also won this prize!! Had the 2111 peter pan peanut butter too. sorry to burst the bubble I think everyone won.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Douglas Cress said...

Greg, Congratulations! I guess we're a family of winners.

Apparently, nobody informed the people at my supermarket, "Foodmaster". Judging by the cleanliness of their deli, theyre no strangers to Salmonella.

I doubt they'll even remove them from the shelves.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home