Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A woman's worst workplace enemy? Another woman.



According to Psychology Today - women, it is widely felt, hold other women back.

The author admits there is not data to prove this theory. Women do however perceive other women as holding them back - this according to survey findings. This belief may be powerful in and of itself.

"Women blocking other women is a dangerous perception. It reinforces some inchoate portrait of the woman executive as insecure *****, easily threatened, overly emotional, less able to focus on achievement because she is preoccupied with squelching younger talent. In this scenario, female managers are all hard-edged Bette Davises, eye out for the rest of us incipient Eve Harringtons, turning the workplace for women into one hell of a bumpy ride."

3 Comments:

Blogger Marissa Beck said...

The other day, I was held back by this older woman. All I wanted to do was get to the front of the line, but she kept blocking me! Suddenly, I felt insecure and threatened, not to mention, tears began streaming from my eyes! Alas, I couldn't let her see this. I knew the only reason she wasn't letting me pass was because I was a young fireball of energy.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Passionate Eater said...

Hmm, that is an interesting theory and I believe it. Tt is all about jealousy. I also feel that PMS holds both man and woman back!

1:23 AM  
Blogger Douglas Cress said...

I've never noticed PMS. Maybe I'm just an automaton robot who can't sense emotions in other people - I feel like its vastly overstated.

I may have male PMS - I'm easily annoyed - usually because of other people. I tend to bottle this rage inside in a deep, dark river of hatred. I reckon one day the floodgate will open and I will produce a deluge of disgust.

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home